LaLiga to probe further racist abuse toward ViniciusPublished:
LaLiga said they will launch an investigation into racist fan abuse suffered by Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior during the club's shock 1-0 defeat at Mallorca on Sunday.
Supporters could be heard calling the 22-year-old Brazilian player a racial slur at the Son Moix stadium in a video published by streaming company DAZN on social media.
LaLiga have asked fans to cooperate to identify those responsible.
"Given the events that occurred in the RCD Mallorca-Real Madrid match, in which once again intolerable racist insults were observed against Real Madrid player Vinicius Jr., LaLiga is putting all the technical means at its disposal and working with the local club for the identification of those responsible, with the aim of taking the appropriate legal measures," LaLiga said in a statement Monday.
Mallorca did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But in a radio interview, Mallorca manager Javier Aguirre condemned racist slurs being used toward Vinicius.
Spanish police are also investigating a possible hate crime against the Brazilian after a mannequin wearing his No. 20 shirt was hung from a bridge in front of the club's training centre ahead of the Madrid derby two weeks ago.
The mannequin was hung next to a banner in Atletico's red and white colours that read "Madrid hates Real" during the early hours of Jan. 26, police said.
Prosecutors in Madrid decided not to press charges over racist chanting aimed at Vinicius in September after finding it had "lasted a few seconds" and had not constituted a crime.
In December, Vinicius accused LaLiga of continuing to do nothing about racist fans at matches, after videos on social media showed some shouting abuse and throwing objects at him during a match the previous day at Valladolid.
Pele, Neymar and other leading Brazilian figures leapt to the defence of Vinicius in September after a panelist on a Spanish football show criticised the forward.
Vinicius issued a two-minute video statement at the time in response to what he called a "xenophobic and racist" insult, saying he "won't stop dancing" and that "the happiness of a black Brazilian being successful in Europe bothers" many people.
Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti and Vinicius' teammates have been urging LaLiga to take action to protect the Brazilian from what they are calling "a hunt" by rivals' defenders.
Having suffered 79 fouls so far this season, Vinicius is the most fouled player in Europe's top seven leagues by a significant margin, followed by his compatriot Neymar at PSG with 59 fouls.
Information from Reuters contributed to this report.
Barcelona VP Rafa Yuste confirmed the club are in contact with Lionel Messi about bringing him back when his contract with PSG expires in June.Tuchel regrets Dortmund end, focused on Bayern
New Bayern Munich coach Thomas Tuchel said he had regrets over how his time with Borussia Dortmund came to an end.2030 WC must be in South America - CONMEBOL
CONMEBOL's president told FIFA it would be a mistake not to award the 2030 World Cup to a joint bid from Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile.Spurs dir. Paratici on leave pending ban appeal
Tottenham's managing director of football Fabio Paratici will step back from his role with immediate effect pending an appeal over his global ban.Chicharito: Mexico boss says door open to return
Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez confirmed he's talked with new Mexico manager Diego Cocca and that the door "is open" to a national team return.Sources: Shaw to sign new long-term deal at Utd
Luke Shaw extended his deal by a year in December but the club have moved to tie the left-back down to a longer contract, sources have told ESPN.Klopp on City, Arsenal matches: UCL week for us
Jurgen Klopp said Liverpool face a "Champions League week" as they prepare to take on Premier League title contenders Manchester City and Arsenal.Pep won't rule out Haaland for Liverpool clash
Erling Haaland withdrew from the Norway squad during the international break with a groin injury and missed Man City training on Thursday.Spain omit rebel players again as WWC nears
Spain's national team has once again left out the 15 rebel players for their last two warm-up games ahead of the Women's World Cup this summer.