Sadio Mane fit for Senegal's AFCON quarterfinal against Equatorial GuineaPublished:
Sadio Mane has been declared fit for Senegal's Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) quarterfinal against Equatorial Guinea in Yaounde on Sunday, his country's football federation said, days after suffering a head knock that saw him taken to hospital.
After scoring the opening goal, the Liverpool star clashed heads with the opposing goalkeeper as Senegal beat the Cape Verde Islands in Tuesday's last-16 clash in Bafoussam and was forced to leave the field, looking groggy and with swelling on the side of his face.
He underwent examinations that showed no trace of concussion, Senegal's doctor Abdourahmane Fédior said.
"All the symptoms he had on the pitch are gone. His condition requires fairly close monitoring. Everything is normal on the X-ray," the doctor said in a statement released by the Senegalese federation.
Mane, The reigning African Footballer of the Year, posted a picture of himself on social media with the caption "recovering".
Senegal head coach Aliou Cisse said: "Sadio is well, he returned to training yesterday and we're progressively following his evolution.
"Today he will train, the clash between two players was serious, he's a sportsman of high level, he knows his body well, today we will see in the session to see how it goes.
"Yesterday went well so it's reassuring; we hope to have him back for the match."
Mane is a major part of Senegal's hopes of winning their first continental championship in Cameroon. They were among the pre-tournament favourites but although they have reached the last eight, they have so far looked far from convincing.
Information from ESPN's Ed Dove was used in this report.
Manchester City striker Erling Haaland will miss Saturday's crunch Premier League game against Liverpool with a groin injury.Barcelona VP confirms transfer talks with Messi
Barcelona VP Rafa Yuste confirmed the club are in contact with Lionel Messi about bringing him back when his contract with PSG expires in June.Tuchel regrets Dortmund end, focused on Bayern
New Bayern Munich coach Thomas Tuchel said he had regrets over how his time with Borussia Dortmund came to an end.2030 WC must be in South America - CONMEBOL
CONMEBOL's president told FIFA it would be a mistake not to award the 2030 World Cup to a joint bid from Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile.Spurs dir. Paratici on leave pending ban appeal
Tottenham's managing director of football Fabio Paratici will step back from his role with immediate effect pending an appeal over his global ban.Chicharito: Mexico boss says door open to return
Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez confirmed he's talked with new Mexico manager Diego Cocca and that the door "is open" to a national team return.Sources: Shaw to sign new long-term deal at Utd
Luke Shaw extended his deal by a year in December but the club have moved to tie the left-back down to a longer contract, sources have told ESPN.Klopp on City, Arsenal matches: UCL week for us
Jurgen Klopp said Liverpool face a "Champions League week" as they prepare to take on Premier League title contenders Manchester City and Arsenal.Spain omit rebel players again as WWC nears
Spain's national team has once again left out the 15 rebel players for their last two warm-up games ahead of the Women's World Cup this summer.