Kisnorbo to Ligue 1 Troyes: Australian coach to make history

Published:
Kisnorbo to Ligue 1 Troyes: Australian coach to make history

Melbourne City coach Patrick Kisnorbo will become the first Australian to manage a side in one of Europe's top five leagues after signing with French Ligue 1 outfit Troyes.

Kisnorbo's immediate exit from City comes after reports from international media that the 41-year-old had been sounded out to replace Bruno Irles, who was sacked on Nov. 8.

The move was confirmed on Wednesday evening (AEDT) with Kisnorbo's assistant coach at City Ralph Napoli also joining him at Troyes.

An 18-time Socceroo, Kisnorbo joined City's coaching staff immediately after retiring from their playing list and took over as manager in the 2020-21 season.

When the A-League went on hiatus for the World Cup, City were sitting first on the ladder and remained the only undefeated side in the competition through six rounds.

Kisnorbo joins Australians Ange Postecoglou, Kevin Muscat and Peter Cklamovski as managers of overseas teams and will hope to hoist Troyes up from 13th on the ladder when the competition returns.

"We consider ourselves lucky to have been able to hold onto Patrick for so long, and we celebrate what he has achieved at Melbourne City," City CEO Brad Rowse said.

"He has been instrumental in establishing our club's philosophy and methodology in a way that it is now sustainable and can be built upon further."

City's A-League Women boss Rado Vidosic will begin coaching the men's team on an interim basis, with Dario Vidosic replacing him at the ALW side. City's next game is against Sydney FC on Dec. 10.

"Rado has a long history in the A-League Men's competition, previously involved as a Technical Director, Assistant Coach and Caretaker Coach at Brisbane Roar, plus time as an assistant at Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory and Wellington Phoenix," Rowse said.

Related News

ESL confirm new plans, eyes 80-club tournament ESL confirm new plans, eyes 80-club tournament

A future European Super League could include 80 teams, Bernd Reichart, chief of a company formed to aid the formation of the league, said.

Alex Morgan: 'Bizarre' for Saudis to sponsor WWC Alex Morgan: 'Bizarre' for Saudis to sponsor WWC

USWNT star Alex Morgan spoke out against the official tourism authority for Saudi Arabia potentially being a sponsor of the 2023 Women's World Cup.

Record $1.57bn spent on transfers in Jan - FIFA Record $1.57bn spent on transfers in Jan - FIFA

Football clubs spent a record $1.57 billion on transfers in the January transfer window, the sport's world governing body FIFA said on Thursday.

NWSL announce '23 games, new Challenge Cup NWSL announce '23 games, new Challenge Cup

The NWSL announced that the 2023 campaign will begin on March 25 with the new format for this year's UKG NWSL Challenge Cup to start on April 19.

Sources: Mexico set to name Cocca as new coach Sources: Mexico set to name Cocca as new coach

The Mexican Football Federation have selected Diego Cocca as the new coach for their national team, sources told ESPN.

Ten Hag: Slow starts vs. Leeds 'unacceptable' Ten Hag: Slow starts vs. Leeds 'unacceptable'

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag said his players were "not ready" to start either half during their 2-2 draw with Leeds United.

Atsu still missing after earthquake - club manager Atsu still missing after earthquake - club manager

Christian Atsu remains missing after two devastating earthquakes struck Turkey and Syria, Hatayspor director Volkan Demirel told Reuters..

Messi's brother sorry for remarks against Barca Messi's brother sorry for remarks against Barca

Lionel Messi's brother, Matias, has taken a swipe at Barcelona, claiming "no one knew" the club before the Argentina captain played there.